what about 48 bits?

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Wed Apr 7 10:23:55 UTC 2010

> For me, as an SME user, I started using Ethernet when Dlink introduced
> an ISA card [DE205] which had a 4-port hub built in (actually 5-port if
> you counted the internal one), at not a great deal more than a normal
> 10Base-T card.  I think it was about $250, when a typical desktop PC was
> $2500.
>
> [...]
>
> Price was a major feature, but interoperability and backwards
> compatibility were the tipping points.

Ah, yes, backwards compatibility: implementing the fantastic feature of
breaking the network...  we all remember the fun of what happened when
someone incorrectly unhooked a 10base2 network segment; D-Link managed
to one-up that on the theoretically more-robust 10baseT/UTP by
introducing a card that'd break your network when you powered off the
attached PC.

Designer of that deserved to be whipped with some RG-58.  :-)

... JG