what about 48 bits?

Roland Perry lists at internetpolicyagency.com
Wed Apr 7 08:03:40 UTC 2010

In article <4BBBF070.6000403 at sprunk.org>, Stephen Sprunk
<stephen at sprunk.org> writes
>Ah, but what _caused_ Ethernet to become ubiquitous, given the price was
>initially comparable?

For me, as an SME user, I started using Ethernet when Dlink introduced
an ISA card [DE205] which had a 4-port hub built in (actually 5-port if
you counted the internal one), at not a great deal more than a normal
10Base-T card.  I think it was about $250, when a typical desktop PC was
$2500.

So all I needed to build my network was one of those, some cable, and
add-in Ethernet cards for each other PC I wanted to bring into the LAN.
As icing on the cake, they also had a Centronics-port dongle to hook up
almost all laptops very easily, and in an emergency you could even use
it on a desktop.

Price was a major feature, but interoperability and backwards
compatibility were the tipping points.
--
Roland Perry