legacy /8

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 02:48:48 UTC 2010

On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 7:41 PM, joel jaeggli <joelja at bogus.com> wrote:
> On 4/4/2010 5:10 PM, Christopher Morrow wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 4:32 PM, joel jaeggli<joelja at bogus.com>  wrote:
>>

>>> Last time I checked, some of the state of the art 2004 era silicon I had
>>> laying around could forward v6 just fine in hardware.  It's not so usefyl
>>> due to it's fib being a bit undersized for 330k routes plus v6, but hey, six
>>> years is long time.
>>>

>> <cough>4948</cough>  (not 6yrs old, but... still forwards v6 in the
>> slow-path, weee!)
>>

> Yes it does. and the slow path is sloooooooooow on the that switch. but
> switches and routers did and do come in colors other than blue.

but, but, but.. then it won't match! and seriously, I can't have
another run in with the fashion police.

In actual seriousness, my point is that plenty of this sort of gear is
in the network, and will be for a time. It's sort of inexcusable that
vendors put out gear 5 years ago that didn't do v6 in the fast path...
 oh well.

-chris