What is "The Internet" TCP/IP or UNIX-to-UNIX ?

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Mon Apr 5 02:45:53 UTC 2010

On Sun, 4 Apr 2010, Jim Burwell wrote:

> I agree.  I remember back in the 80s when I first got access to UseNet
> and UUCP based email thinking and saying things like "the net will
> change the world", because for the first time people from all over the
> globe were communicating fairly openly and inexpensively, and somehow
> the internet and UUCP seemed to come in "under the radar" back then.  I
> had more than a few people scoff at me for thinking that way though.  :-)

I know exactly what you mean.  I first connected got online in 1992 (late
by the standards of some around here :) ).  Right away I knew it was going
to change everything.  I tried to explain this to people but mostly got a
blank stare in return.

These days you hear people occassionally say that no one predicted the
explosive impact of the Internet.  I did, and so did a lot of others.  I
will say that I expected it was going to take us longer to get to this
point (near ubiquitous network access in the developed world, and network
technologies being widely adopted by government & business to deliver
services).

In any case, we're at the beginning of this revolution, not the end.  I
expect it will take several centuries for the full impact of the
information revolution to become evident.

Cheers,

Rob

Email: robert at timetraveller.org
IRC: Solver
Web: http://www.practicalsysadmin.com
Open Source: The revolution that silently changed the world