what about 48 bits?

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Mon Apr 5 01:10:57 UTC 2010

On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 11:17:28 -0400
John Peach <john-nanog at johnpeach.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 11:10:56 -0400
> David Andersen <dga at cs.cmu.edu> wrote:
>
> > There are some classical cases of assigning the same MAC address to every machine in a batch, resetting the counter used to number them, etc.;  unless shown otherwise, these are likely to be errors, not accidental collisions.
> >
> >   -Dave
> >
> > On Apr 4, 2010, at 10:57 AM, jim deleskie wrote:
> >
> > > I've seen duplicate addresses in the wild in the past, I assume there
> > > is some amount of reuse, even though they are suppose to be unique.
> > >
> > > -jim

> Sun, for one, used to assign the same MAC address to every NIC in the
> same box.

That actually follows the original MAC addressing model -

"48-bit Absolute Internet and Ethernet Host Numbers"
http://ethernethistory.typepad.com/papers/HostNumbers.pdf

As add-in cards needed their own address, because they couldn't be sure
the host had one, and most likely didn't, I think that has evolved into
unique MAC addresses per-interface rather than per-host.

Regards,
Mark.