legacy /8

Zaid Ali zaid at zaidali.com
Sun Apr 4 16:10:58 UTC 2010

On 4/4/10 6:44 AM, "Leen Besselink" <leen at consolejunkie.net> wrote:

> "Out of the total number of emails received, 14% were received over
> IPv6, the rest over IPv4."

It should be clear that 14% received here is email to RIPE NCC servers. I
don't think we have 14% of SMTP traffic out there coming via IPv6. Actual
SMTP traffic may still be under 1%, I have done some work with a colleague
to sample 0.5M domains yielding in <2% AAAA MX records and we heard similar
data with other folks that ran a similar experiment. Seeing an uptick on
quad A MX record is still a good thing and tells us there is some form of
migration but SMTP over IPv6 will be really valuable data here. Has anyone
collected and published data on this?

Zaid