legacy /8

Leen Besselink leen at consolejunkie.net
Sun Apr 4 13:44:07 UTC 2010

On 04/03/2010 07:39 PM, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 08:06:44 EDT, Jeffrey Lyon said:
>

>> For small companies the cost of moving to IPv6 is far too great,
>> especially when we rely on certain DDoS mitigation gear that does not
>> yet have an IPv6 equivalent.
>>
> So?  How many people are *realistically* being hit by IPv6 DDoS right now?
> (I saw a number in the last 2-3 days that 2-3% of spam is now being delivered
> via SMTP-over-IPv6).  You may not need that gear as much as you thought...

This maybe ?:
http://labs.ripe.net/content/spam-over-ipv6

"Out of the total number of emails received, 14% were received over
IPv6, the rest over IPv4."

"Looking only at the number of e-mails received over IPv6, 3.5% were
classified as spam, the rest were legitimate."

But then again this is a pretty low number as well:

"Looking only at the number of emails received over IPv4: 31% were
classified as spam, the rest were legitimate."

Some of us deal with 98% or more.