legacy /8

Jeffrey Lyon jeffrey.lyon at blacklotus.net
Sat Apr 3 12:06:44 UTC 2010

People use IPv4 because it's cost effective to do so. When I only have
to pay $1250 per year for a /21 there is little incentive to heavily
restrict the use of that space. People are buying dedicated servers
every day with /29 - /24 of space using very questionable
justification and any justification that is provided is difficult and
labor intensive to validate.

If the cost of IP space were to go up dramatically many organizations
would suddenly decide that they don't need a /18 - longer and
therefore would go back to getting smaller allocations from their ISP,
returning some space, and/or planning the use of space much more
carefully. Supply and demand will run it's course.

For small companies the cost of moving to IPv6 is far too great,
especially when we rely on certain DDoS mitigation gear that does not
yet have an IPv6 equivalent.

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Lyon, Leadership Team
jeffrey.lyon at blacklotus.net | http://www.blacklotus.net

Follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/ddosprotection to find out
about news, promotions, and (gasp!) system outages which are updated
in real time.

Platinum sponsor of HostingCon 2010. Come to Austin, TX on July 19 -
21 to find out how to "protect your booty."