legacy /8

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Apr 2 22:52:39 UTC 2010

No, this is how the RIR process works.  The RIRs request their next /8s and begin
the "cleaning" process on them several months prior to running out of their
previous allocations. This is done to try and make the allocations/assignments
from those blocks as immediately useful as possible to their customers.

I can assure you that RIRs are in the business of distributing IP resources within
the policy guidelines set by the community. They have no gain from holding or
hoarding them and are not in a position to do any such thing.

Owen