legacy /8

Jim Burwell jimb at jsbc.cc
Sat Apr 3 06:47:36 UTC 2010

On 4/2/2010 19:13, George Bonser wrote:

> [...]
So essentially add 32-bits to the IPv4 address, used as a ASN, and use
legacy V4 on the "backbone" which tunnels everything, so the entire
intra-ASN internet has to go through v4-in-v4 tunnels.  A few "little"
changes to DNS, and voila!  And of course, there's no "devils in the
details" we have to worry about.  Heck.    Just quote that last post up
and submit it as an RFC to replace the IPv6 RFCs!  :-)

Seriously though, would that really be easier to implement, or be better
than IPv6 as this point?  I'd think the IETF would probably have
considered solutions like that, but IPv6 is what we got.  So best learn
to love it.  :P

-Jim