legacy /8

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Sat Apr 3 02:37:14 UTC 2010

We wouldn't really need to get rid of BGP, it would just be that there
would be potentially one route per ASN with no (or very little)
aggregation.  Some form of label switching where you map ASNs to peers
might just be a little more efficient as you would only see the number
of labels that you have peers.

If the vendors are prepared to grow their capabilities along with the
number of ASNs assigned, then there is no problem.  Currently that would
not be a problem.  There are only 56,218 allocated 16-bit ASNs and 5120
allocated 32-bit ASNs for a current total of only about 61,000-ish
"routes".  Any peering router in use today that takes full routes would
be able to handle this in its sleep.