legacy /8

Majdi S. Abbas msa at latt.net
Fri Apr 2 22:52:41 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 02, 2010 at 05:48:44PM -0500, John Palmer (NANOG Acct) wrote:
> On the topic of IP4 exhaustion:  1/8, 2/8 and 5/8 have all been assigned in
> the last 3 months yet I don't see them being allocated out to customers
> (users) yet.
>
> Is this perhaps a bit of hoarding in advance of the complete depletion of
> /8's?

	Doubt it.  1/8 is still being evaluated to determine just how usable
portions of it are, thanks to silly people of the world that decided
1.1.1.x and the like were 1918 space.

	As for the others, the RIR requests it when they are running low,
but certainly not exhausted, and as slow as people are to update their
bogon filters, it sounds like general good practice not to assign out of
a new /8 until pre-existing resources are exhausted.

	Can we put the tinfoil hats away and let this thread die now?

	--msa