legacy /8

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Apr 2 22:41:32 UTC 2010

On Friday 02 April 2010 06:14:33 pm Owen DeLong wrote:
> This is where Legacy vs. RIR becomes meaningful.  Legacy holders have
> no contractual obligation to return unused space.  RIR recipients, on the
> other hand, do.

Some legacy holders might, I imagine, be 'squatting' on that legacy space and
are getting ready to 'sell' some to the highest bidder, generating who knows
how much revenue, if their agreement allows them to do so.

A few of those same legacy holders might even want to impede IPv6 uptake to
make their /8 more valuable when the crunch comes.

Perhaps I'm too paranoid.  But I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of
these possibilities (in my case, however, I have no legacy space, and wouldn't
go that route even if I did).