legacy /8

Jeroen van Aart jeroen at mompl.net
Fri Apr 2 22:25:22 UTC 2010

Cutler James R wrote:
> I also just got a fresh box of popcorn.  I will sit by and wait

I honestly am not trying to be a troll. It's just everytime I glance
over the IANA IPv4 Address Space Registry I feel rather annoyed about
all those /8s that were assigned back in the day without apparently
realising we might run out.

It was explained to me that many companies with /8s use it for their
internal network and migrating to 10/8 instead is a major pain.

> Running out of IP addresses is not a soon realized scenario for IPv6. If an organization runs out of IP addresses, the difficulty is with top management, not the network or address space.

I also don't try to bash IPv6, I don't know enough about it yet to do
that and I doubt I would. From a casual observer's point of view having
that much more IP space to allocate can only be a good thing. But from
the same observer's POV you can also reason it is taking very long to
gain acceptance.

Regards,
Jeroen