legacy /8

Chris Grundemann cgrundemann at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 21:16:28 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 15:01, Jeroen van Aart <jeroen at mompl.net> wrote:
> I am curious. Once we're nearing exhausting all IPv4 space will there ever
> come a time to ask/demand/force returning all these legacy /8 allocations?
<snip>

Legacy vs RIR allocated/assigned space is not a proper distinction,
in-use vs not-in-use is a much better defining line for this debate.

Folks have been asked to return unused space for quite some time now,
see https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1917.

Unless/until governments get involved, there is no one to demand or
force the return of any space. If that happens, we likely all lose.

--
@ChrisGrundemann
weblog.chrisgrundemann.com