legacy /8

Majdi S. Abbas msa at latt.net
Fri Apr 2 21:06:31 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 02, 2010 at 02:01:45PM -0700, Jeroen van Aart wrote:
> I am curious. Once we're nearing exhausting all IPv4 space will
> there ever come a time to ask/demand/force returning all these
> legacy /8 allocations? I think I understand the difficulty in that,
> but then running out of IPs is also a difficult issue. :-)
>
> For some reason I sooner see all IPv4 space being exhausted than
> IPv6 being actually implemented globally.

	Because it's no more than a delaying action.  Even presuming
you get people to cooperate (and they really, have no incentive to
because they don't necessarily have any agreement covering the space
with the RIRs) rather than fire up their legal department....

	A couple of /8s doesn't last long enough to really make a dent
in the pain.  You might buy yourself a few months at most.

	It might actually do more harm than good, by convincing people
that they can still get v4 space rather than worry about what they
are going to do in the future.

	--msa