Books for the NOC guys...

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Apr 2 17:30:55 UTC 2010

On Friday 02 April 2010 11:36:53 am Eliot Lear wrote:
> Practice of System and Network Administration by Limoncelli, Hogan, and
> Challup.  I may be biased, being married to Hogan.

+1 on PSNA.  I like it as much for its non-technical content as for its
technical content  (a similar book, by Limncelli, "Time Management for System
Administrators" is also on my shelf, with great non-technical content, and
should be a must-read for any technical personnel, IMO).

+1 also on Network Warrior, although not for everything.

I also have 'Cisco Network Professional's Advanced Internetworking Guide' by
Patrick J. Conlan, published by Sybex.  Comes with the full text on CD in PDF
form, too.  The URL is pretty long, so use the search on sybex.com to find it.
Here's the ToC:

1. Enterprise Network Design.
2. Switching.
3. Spanning Tree Protocol (STP).
4. Routing Concepts and Distance Vector Routing Protocols.
5. Advanced Distance Vector Protocols.
6. Link State Routing Protocols.
7. Exterior Routing Protocols.
8. Multicast.
9. IP Version 6.
10. Redundancy Protocols.
11. WAN and Teleworker Connections.
12. Virtual Private Networks (VPN).
13. Device Security.
14. Switch Security.
15. Cisco IOS Firewall.
16. Cisco IOS IPS.
17. Voice.
18. DiffServ Quality of Service (QOS).
19. Wireless Devices and Topologies.
20. Wireless Management and Security.

Which pretty much, I think, covers the bases asked about in the OP.  The
copyright is May 2009, so it's not too bad out of date.