Books for the NOC guys...

Scott Berkman scott at sberkman.net
Fri Apr 2 13:50:38 UTC 2010

I just show them this:

http://warriorsofthe.net/

	-Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: Larry Sheldon [mailto:LarrySheldon at cox.net]
Sent: Friday, April 02, 2010 9:46 AM
To: nanog at nanog.org
Subject: Re: Books for the NOC guys...

On 4/2/2010 08:39, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 13:48:48 BST, Michael Dillon said:
>>> So, what are you having your up-and-coming NOC staff read?
>>
>> In an attempt to wean them off of unmanageable PERL scripts
>
> There is not, and there never will be, a useful programming language that
> makes it the least bit difficult to write totally abominable
creeping-horror
> unmaintainable code in.
>
> The ability of a programmer to write totally obtuse code is entirely
> orthogonal to the choice of implementation language.  Some people just
don't
> have good taste, and will produce train wrecks in any language. Remember
that
> it's possible to write Fortran-IV code in any language. :)
>
> Unless you teach them stuff like "Document the sources and expected types
of
> input data", "add useful comments that explain your choice of algorithms
rather
> than  "a++; /* Add one to A */", and "If the language supports operator
> overloading, don't be a bozo and abuse it", the code will be
unmaintainable.

"Teach them".  Train them.  Have standards.  Enforce them (pay according
to compliance).

What a concept!  We did that using Autocoder and COBOL.

What next?  "Manage" them?  Is that even legal?
--
Democracy: Three wolves and a sheep voting on the dinner menu.

Requiescas in pace o email
Ex turpi causa non oritur actio
Eppure si rinfresca

ICBM Targeting Information:  http://tinyurl.com/4sqczs