Upstream BGP community support

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Sat Oct 31 23:49:03 UTC 2009

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 06:35:31PM -0500, Dorian Kim wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 06:27:38PM -0500, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> > 1) Old stodgy tier 1's who have communities but don't want to share them
> > with the world, because of silly NDA concerns or the like. This covers a
>
> I'm curious, since when did respecting bounds of contracts and agreements
> one has signed become "stodgy"?

There is no excuse for not being able to tell people where you learned a
route from (continent, region, city, country, etc). I'm personally of
the opinion that this is a good thing to share with the entire Internet,
as it lets people make intelligent TE decisions for your routes even if
they don't have a direct relationship with your network. You should also
be able to at a minimum allow no-export or prepend to specific ASNs, and
not being able to provide these to customers is absolutely grounds for
"should never ever buy from" status.

The "we aren't allowed to say we're a peer" argument seems easily
defeatable, realistically if you're a stodgy tier 1 all you need is
"this is a customer" tag and you can figure out the rest with "not a
customer" logic without explicitly violating any NDAs. The "alter export
attributes within a specific region" argument is a somewhat legitimate
one due to requirements for consistent announcements, but I prefer to
enable it by default and deal with unhappy peers on a case by case
basis.