dealing with bogon spam ?

George Michaelson ggm at apnic.net
Fri Oct 30 00:02:46 UTC 2009

> //// Avoid broken/slow servers:
> ////            "afrinic"       =>
> "ftp://ftp.afrinic.net/pub/stats/afrinic/delegated-afrinic-latest",
> ////            "apnic"         =>
> "ftp://ftp.apnic.net/apnic/stats/apnic/delegated-apnic-latest",
> ////            "lacnic"        =>
> "ftp://ftp.lacnic.net/pub/stats/lacnic/delegated-lacnic-latest",
> );
>

> Yes, generally the latter three are broken, but as they are mirrored
> RIPE anyway, you can just pull them off there.

Having checked with Jeroen, I would like to observe that in the case
of APNIC this is almost certainly IPv6 and pMTU problems.

As he observes elsewhere in the email, we all shadow each others data
in the FTP trees so you can very probably choose one RIR, and use it
as a fetch-point for all of this data.

BTW The last time this cropped up in any public eye facing NANOG type
people it was the rfc editor. It can happen to anyone. Geoff wrote it
up at:

	http://www.potaroo.net/ispcol/2009-01/mtu6.html

So, this is not APNIC having "broken" FTP, its the innate problem of
IPv6 in the wild.

If you fall back to V4, the fetch works just fine. If tomorrow you
have problems fetching the stats from ARIN or RIPE, you might want to
look at your path..

-George