Power Analysis/Management Tools

Ryan Langseth langseth at meridian-enviro.com
Thu Oct 29 15:58:12 UTC 2009

Nathan Ward wrote:
> I haven't used cacti in a while, but does it let you combine several RRD
> files in to one graph? If so that's useful for power stuff, because
> you're likely to want to graph an aggregate of several things across
> different devices - for example a+b power of a server, or aggregate
> power usage for one customer with multiple power feeds.

Yes this is possible, without going into it too deeply since this is
nanog, not cacti-users.  You create the individual graphs, then create a
new graph Graph management-> Add (with host and template set to none)
then add data sources from other graphs/hosts.  The nice thing about
doing it this way is if you already have data being graphed, it will use
the history to create the new graph.

We use this with our bandwidth usage graph for our individual providers
to show the aggregate bandwidth, and some other internal graphs that
have history going back years. And at $oldjob I used it to show rf
usage on our towers, quite handy with equipment that automatically
changed frequency.