PPPoE vs. Bridged ADSL

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Thu Oct 29 15:02:35 UTC 2009

Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> I think the important thing is to have a separate L2 isolation per
> customer so you can more easily deploy IPv6 in the future. q-in-q or
> PPPoX will both solve this problem, but deploying multicast TV offering
> might be harder in this deployment model.

In general, it shouldn't be. Local multicast TV offerings should be
transmitted out of band from the standard internet connection, either
different vlan or outside of the PPPoE. The nature of it usually
indicates a specialized CPE maintained by the provider to support the
necessary QOS, and division of Internet and Video traffic.

For public multicast, splitting in the local pop just doesn't matter much.

> There is really no devices out there to securely do IPv6 to the end user
> natively when you have a shared L2 domain (in v4 this implies the L2
> device will do DHCP snooping and do filtering based on that).

Several vendors claim to have v6 support for this in the next year.
Currently, many of them completely break v6 due to the v4 security.

Jack