PPPoE vs. Bridged ADSL

Mark Smith nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org
Wed Oct 28 23:32:59 UTC 2009

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 15:33:58 -0700
Walter Keen <walter.keen at rainierconnect.net> wrote:

>    Most aDSL modems if set to PPPoE (I think Actiontec's come this way by
>    default) will send the mac as the pppoe un/pw.
>    David E. Smith wrote:
>
> Opinions on this? I'd be interested in hearing the latest real world
> experience for both and the direction most folks are going in.

DOCSIS cable networks use DHCP and have for a long time. If you have
Ethernet based DSLAMs, they can usually do the a number of tricks (e.g.
Option 82 insertion into the DHCP request) that would make a DHCP ADSL
deployment no harder (or easier) than a DOCSIS cable network.

It seems to me that the fundamental purpose of PPPoE is to be able to
uniquely identify the customer for billing/provisioning purposes. Even
though you only need to be able to do that at the start of their
session, with PPPoE you pay an 8 byte per packet overhead, on _every_
packet sent and received by the customer. Other methods of
distinguishing the customer, e.g. Option 82, static DHCP mapped to a
customer MAC address, or possibly 802.1x if it were available, have
much, much lower overhead.

I think PPPoE really only exists to make ADSL look like high speed
dial-up, so that ISPs dial up backend systems didn't need to be changed
when ADSL was introduced. That was a valid concern in the past, but
with existing solutions or models such as the DOCSIS Cable methods, and
Ethernet based DSLAMS, I'd suggest avoiding PPPoE if you can.