dealing with bogon spam ?

John Kristoff jtk at cymru.com
Wed Oct 28 08:27:46 UTC 2009

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 23:44:40 -0700
Leslie <leslie at craigslist.org> wrote:

> It seems to me like the best solution might be a semi-hacky solution
> of asking arin (and other IRR's) if i can copy its DB and creating an
> internal peer which null routes unallocated blocks (updated nightly?)
>
> Has anyone seen an IRR's DB's not being updated for more than 30 days
> after allocations?  I always assumed that they are quickly updated.

Note, ARIN is an RIR, a regional internet registry, which is what I
presume you meant there.  Nevertheless, while it might be worth a try
from a research perspective, it may be a bit risky in a production
environment. In addition, someone may announce a more specific so keep
that scenario in mind.  The CIDR Report monitors RIR allocation data.
This may be of interest to you:

  <http://www.cidr-report.org/bogons/rir-data.html>

You can get access to that allocation data as noted here:

  <https://www.arin.net/knowledge/statistics/rir.html>

John