IPv6 could change things - Was: DMCA takedowns of networks

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Wed Oct 28 05:23:29 UTC 2009

Brian Johnson wrote:

>> Last time I checked, and this may have changed, the limit in Linux was
>> around 4096.
>
> So in this circumstance you could route a /116 to the server. COOL!

These days what we might at one point have refered to as a host or
server may actually be a hardware container with N > 1 or so virtual
systems...  which may variously be:

attached to the network via dedicated interface
individual vlans
a virtual bridge
a layer-3 topology

>> In practice though, you also have to consider the physical limitations
>> of the server itself.  The biggest bang for the buck in dense hosting
>> environments seems to be running about 1000 sites per box, with a few
>> boxes dedicated to your heavy hitters with 100 or less ea.
>
> So in this circumstance you could route a /118 to the server serving
> 1000 sites and a /125 to the server serving 100 sites. Also COOL!

How many ips you can park on a particular hardware container is probably
bounded only by the over-subscription rate of what you intend to serve.
Most of the superficial limits (macs on a bridge table, ips on an
interface etc can be worked around in fairly simple fashion but the
number of connections per second or pps rate a given hardware container
 can pass though whatever abstraction is applied is less fungible.