IPv6 could change things - Was: DMCA takedowns of networks

Michael Dillon wavetossed at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 27 14:05:36 UTC 2009

> Not sure how much I believe of the article and its lack of detail and
> chopped quotes...but did HE really disconnect an entire downstream network
> over a DMCA notice, or did they null route a /32 that was used by a customer
> to host hundreds of virtual web sites?

Since the tools at a network operator's disposal are ACLs which make it easy to
block traffic to a /32 without the need for deep packet inspection,
one would expect
that this regularly causes collateral damage if that /32 is a web server hosting
hundreds of virtual websites.

But, when IPv6 is a bit more common, there is no need for  virtual
hosters to share
a single IP address between several sites. They may as well use a
unique IPv6 address
for every single site, even if they are all on the same server. The
side effect of this is
that it makes the network operator's tool sharper, and able to knock
down single sites
with a /32 ACL.

For a hosting provider, I would think that this strengthens the
business case for IPv6.

--Michael Dillon