DMCA takedowns of networks

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Mon Oct 26 17:48:20 UTC 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 10:11:47AM -0500, Brian Johnson wrote:

> Is there any reason to believe that HE didn't do that? The report
> doesn't mention if HE contacted the customer before doing this.

According to May First's own statement, this is exactly what happened:

https://support.mayfirst.org/wiki/chamber-he-statement

> The U.S. Chamber of Commerce sent Hurricane Electric a letter
> complaining about a website spoofing the Chamber's obstructionism on
> climate change policies that was created by MF/PL member the Yes Men
> (read more about the spoof).
>
> Hurricane Electric immediately ordered us to remove the spoofed site
> or face a turn-off of service. We responded that such a demand was:
>
> * arbitrary since it represented a legally untested complaint;
> * unconstitutional since it quashed the fair use of logos in a
>   satirical way;
> * and overreaching because it affected 3/4 of of our membership (over
>   300 organizations) whose websites, email and other online tools
>   would be taken down in such an action.

1. Hurricane receives complaint letter
2. Hurricane notifies customer and requests that they remove content
3. Customer claims that content is fair use and not violating copyright
4. Hurricane turns customer off anyways
5. Customer agrees to move content elsewhere
6. Hurricane turns them back on

They neglect to mention if May First has a registered DMCA agent (in
which case they could have handled the complaint directly and not
involved Hurricane), or if they responded with a proper DMCA counter
notification. Had either of these been the case, Hurricane would have
had no liability in the matter. Of course Hurricane is well within their
rights not to serve any customer that they please, but the customer is
also well within their rights to find another provider who better
respects the rights of free speech on the Internet (if the above is what
actually happened).