Alcatel-Lucent VPN Firewall Brick

Jay Nakamura zeusdadog at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 15:55:42 UTC 2009

Hello all,

Looking for input on Alcatel-Lucent VPN Firewall Brick.  I can look up
spec and other published information but, as always, the devil is in
the detail and you just never know what wall you run into until you
actually try it so I wanted to see if anyone has used this and can
point out good/bad things about this device.

Our other option is Cisco IOS router right now.  Are there better
options than these two?

If there is a better forum to post this question, my apologies.
Please direct me to the right place. :)

Our goal :

We want to provide managed firewall/VPN for Colo/DIA customers.

Our specific requirements are
- Able to provide VRF/virtual router per customer since address range
can overlap between customers.
- Able to do client based VPN to the inside network.  It could be
IPSec or SSL.  It has to support Vista/Win7-x64
- Able to do site to site VPN with various devices.(Cisco,
- Can rate limit traffic in and out.
- Control NAT per customer instance.
- Stateful firewall per customer instance.
- Good logging

Thanks!