ISP port blocking practice

Clue Store cluestore at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 23:55:30 UTC 2009

> Blocking port 25 is not, IMHO, a violation of Network Neutrality.  I
> explained why in a very long, probably boring, post.  Your definition of
> Network neutrality may differ.  Which is fine, but doesn't make mine wrong.
>

> --
> TTFN,
> patrick
>

> I agree with this. I would think that from an administrator/engineers
perspective, it's more of being proactive to help protect the network, the
end-user and help keep SLA's (keep from getting listed on RBL because of a
non-patched or virused pc, not wasting network resources due to SPAM, trying
to keep your own house clean, etc) more than it is an attack on Net
Neutrality.

But on the other hand, the end-user, customer, or whoever is having a port
blocked, might wonder about the services they are buying and if it's time to
jump ship to another provider if they aren't willing to work with the
customer.

I think that most providers are willing to work with the customer if ports
such as SMTP need to be unblocked for whatever reason. If they aren't, then
i would suggest finding another provider.

Clue