ISP port blocking practice

James R. Cutler james.cutler at consultant.com
Fri Oct 23 23:33:58 UTC 2009

No, blocking a port does not restrict a customers use of the network
any more than one way streets restrict access to downtown stores. It
just forces certain traffic directions in a bicycle/motorcycle/car/van/
truck neutral manner. Carry anything you want.  Others laws restrict
incendiary content.

On Oct 23, 2009, at 6:15 PM, Dan White wrote:

> On 23/10/09 17:58 -0400, James R. Cutler wrote:
>> Blocking the well known port 25 does not block sending of mail. Or
>> the
>> message content.
>
> It does block incoming SMTP traffic on that well known port.
>
>> I think the relevant neutrality principle is that traffic is not
>> blocked
>> by content.
>
> My personal definition doesn't quite gel with that. You're deciding
> for the
> customer how they can use their connection, before you have any
> evidence of
> nefarious activity.
>
> Would you consider restricting a customer's outgoing port 25 traffic
> to a
> specific mail server a step over the net neutrality line?
>
> --
> Dan White

James R. Cutler
james.cutler at consultant.com