IPv6 Deployment for the LAN

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Oct 23 13:42:50 UTC 2009

On Oct 23, 2009, at 5:08 AM, Perry Lorier wrote:

>>> You want to allow for more than one for obvious fault isolation
>>> and load balancing reasons.  The draft suggested using
>>> <prefix>:FFFF::1 I personally would suggest getting a well known
>>> ULA-C allocation assigned to IANA, then use <prefix>::<protocol
>>> assignment>:1 <prefix>::<protocol assignment>:2 and
>>> could be "0035" for DNS, and "007b" for NTP, and if you're feeling
>>> adventurous you could use "0019" for outgoing SMTP relay.
>>>
>> I thought ULA-C was dead... Did someone resurrect this unfortunate
>> bad idea?
>>

> I'm not sure, I've not checked for a pulse recently.  Last I looked
> it seemed that there was ULA-L and ULA-C, and most people were
> saying use ULA-L unless you needed ULA-C, ULA-C seemed like a good
> fit for this, if it's been buried then sure ULA-L would fit the bill
> just as well.

>>> Exactly, seems easy, straight forward, robust, reliable and allows
>>> for things like fate sharing and fail over.
>>
>> Why pull this out of ULA?  Why not pull it out of 0000/16 or one of
>> the other reserved prefixes?
>
> With my proposal above it only requires a /96, seems silly to use up
> an entire /16 on a /96 worth of bits.  It shouldn't come out of
> 2000::/3 because that's globally routable and this is defined to sit
> within locally scoped addressing.

No... You missed my point...

I was suggesting that 0000::/16 already had some assignments for stuff
somewhat like this,
so, why not use more of that prefix to get a /96 for this...

e.g. ::/0 == default, ::1/128 == Loopback, etc.

Why not use 0000:ffff::/64 to assign these addresses as:

0000:ffff::<inst:ance>:<serv:ice>

That is a 32 bit instance number and 32 bit port number, using up just
a /64.

I was not suggesting the entire /16 for this, the entire /16 there
isn't available.

> I have no major thoughts either way as to exactly where the range
> comes from other than it should be an easy to spot, and easy to type
> range which suggests plenty of 0's :)

I figured 0000 was a good candidate since it's already partially in
use for
reserved special addresses.

Owen