IPv6 Deployment for the LAN

Joe Maimon jmaimon at ttec.com
Thu Oct 22 23:27:27 UTC 2009

Ray Soucy wrote:

> Others may have their specific requests from vendors, but here are mine:
>
> 1. Include DHCPv6 client functionality as part of any IPv6 implementation.
> 2. Support RA-gaurd and DHCPv6 snooping in L2 network infrastructure.

I can agree with that.

I would also add that there is plenty of work that can be done to DHCP,
such as adding full route support, multiple gateways with preference and
even transitioning from a binary only protocol.

> A lot of the frustration seems to come from Windows ICS acting as an
> IPv6 router.  I think everyone here has been after Microsoft to either
> remove ICS or make it more difficult to enable at one point or
> another.  While a rogue RA can come from anywhere, Windows is usually
> the guilty party.  I would argue that since NAT is not a component of
> IPv6,

NAT wasnt a component of IPv4 until it was already had widespread
adoption. I remain completely unconvinced that people will not continue
to perceive value in PAT6 between their private and their public subnets.

And of course, different forms of NAT are almost certainly required to
try to make ipv4 and ipv6 interoperate for as long as people need it to.

> no host should be implementing ICS-like functionality for IPv6.
> It's unlikely that there would be a situation on an IPv6 network that
> a host needed to share it's IPv6 address to get others online.
>
> Just my thoughts.  Maybe someone from Microsoft who can do something
> about it lurks on this list.

Good luck.

Joe