{SPAM?} Re: IPv6 Deployment for the LAN

Joe Maimon jmaimon at ttec.com
Thu Oct 22 20:55:50 UTC 2009

Owen DeLong wrote:

> Not at all.  People are not saying RA has to go away.  They are saying we
> need the option of DHCPv6 doing the job where we do not feel that RA is
> the correct tool.

Then let me say it. RA needs to be able to be completely turned off.
DHCPv6 needs to be able to completely configure all requesting hosts.

DHCPv4 works everywhere and meets every networks needs, from the $50
linksys to the million dollar network. RA already does not.

The answer to RA shortcomings is not to turn it into a clone of DHCP,
only stateless and chained to the router.

> More tools are good.  Replacing one tool that works today with a new tool
> that is arguably inferior in many real world cases, on the other hand, is
> not so good.
>
> Owen

Sure, leave RA in the IPv6 stack. The market will decide, and we will
see if it is still on by default on soho routers and in IOS 15.4T in 2015.

Joe