{SPAM?} Re: IPv6 Deployment for the LAN

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Thu Oct 22 20:06:48 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 03:57:40PM -0400, Ray Soucy wrote:
> Really.  How do we deal with rouge DHCP on the wireless LAN, obviously
> this is such a complex issue that we couldn't possibly have a solution
> that could be applied to RA.

Rogue DHCP doesn't immedately take down the entire subnet of machines
with existing DHCP leases.  It generally only affects new machines
trying to get a lease, or RENEWing machines.  The impact of a rogue RA
is to immediately break connectivity for every machine on the subnet.
Differing impacts leads to different risk assessments of which
protocol to use.

Regardless, modern wireless deployments use central controllers or
smart APs that can filter DHCP.  They could be extended to filter RA
as well.

And this whole point is rather moot because we have RAs and must deal
with them.  It is too late to get rid of the RA behavior of clients.
Even if you don't want to use RAs, your hosts are going to still
listen to them which means a Rogue RA is going to take down your
network.  We have this problem even on IPv4-only subnets, where a
Rogue RA (usually a Windows box with routing turned on) breaks
connectivity to dual-stack servers for machines on that subnet.  Since
the hosts prefer native IPv6 connectivity over IPv4, the hosts end up
preferring the Rogue RA as the route towards the dual-stack server.

We really just need to bug our vendors to implement Rogue RA
protection for wired and wireless ASAP, wherever we are in our
deployment of IPv6.