IPv6 Deployment for the LAN

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Thu Oct 22 15:22:50 UTC 2009

> Ok, lets start with not breaking the functionality we have today
> in IPv4.  Once you get that working again we can look at new
> ideas (like RA) that might have utility. Let the new stuff live/die on
> it's own merits.  The Internet is very good at sorting out the useful
> technology from the crap.

Right.  I'll admit some confusion here.  If the IETF, due to religion or aesthetics, is blocking attempts at making DHCPv6 do what network operators _need_ (as opposed to want), why haven't network operators routed around the problem and gone and funded folks like ISC, NLNetLabs, Cisco, Juniper, et al., to implement what they need?

> At conferences I keep hearing "It would be great if the IETF had
> more operator input."  Yet whenever we try to provide operationally
> useful advice we are ridiculed for not being smart enough to know
> how things should work.
>
> How do we fix that?

You seem to be asking "how do we make people not stupid".  Folks tend to simplify reality so that it fits their world view.  Stupid people attempt to force that simplified reality onto others.  You can either play their game, attempting to get them to understand reality is often more complicated than we'd like, or route around them.  Or you can post to NANOG... :-)

Regards,
-drc