IPv6 Deployment for the LAN

Kevin Loch kloch at kl.net
Thu Oct 22 15:03:32 UTC 2009

Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> If, on the other hand, the REAL desire is to have a DHCP server break
> the tie in the selection between several routers that advertise their
> presence, that wouldn't be unreasonable.

In some configurations not all hosts are supposed to use the same
router.  We need the _option_ to specify a default gateway and
have the override any RA's a host may see.

> There is no requirement that the IETF provides all functionality that
> someone can think up. The list of desired functionality is infinite, and
> much on that list is a bad idea and/or can be achieved in different ways.

Ok, lets start with not breaking the functionality we have today
in IPv4.  Once you get that working again we can look at new
ideas (like RA) that might have utility. Let the new stuff live/die on
it's own merits.  The Internet is very good at sorting out the useful
technology from the crap.

>> Seriously, we're all adults.  So treating us like children and taking
>> away
>> the power tools is not appreciated.
>
> Stop trying to break the internet and I'll treat you like an adult.

At conferences I keep hearing "It would be great if the IETF had
more operator input."  Yet whenever we try to provide operationally
useful advice we are ridiculed for not being smart enough to know
how things should work.

How do we fix that?

- Kevin