Consistent asymetric latency on monitoring?

Rick Ernst nanog at shreddedmail.com
Thu Oct 22 03:03:16 UTC 2009

Resent, since I responded from the wrong address:
---
The basic operation of IP SLA is as surmised; payload with timestamps
and other telemetry data is sent to a 'responder' which manipulates
the payload, including adding its own timestamps, and returns the
altered payload.

I had to do a mental walk-through, but I think I see how drift can
cause this. I'm going to generate some artificial data, graph it, and
see if it matches the general waveshape I'm seeing.

I purposefully have the traffic generators ntp syncing against the
responders. I thought that would keep the clocks more closely in sync.
I don't necessarily care if the time is 'right', just that it's the
same. What kind of difference should I expect if I sync both
generators and responders against the same source, or not sync the
responder? I'm thinking that having one source with constant drift may
be better than both devices trying to walk/correct the time.

Thanks for the input!