2009.10.21 NANOG47 day 3 notes

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Wed Oct 21 19:56:31 UTC 2009

Ray Soucy wrote:
> Would be a good idea to stop spreading the false assumption that "ipv6
> enable" determines whether or not IPv6 is active on an interface.

Play with IPv6 and is-is enough on a Cisco router, and you'll enable it
as a matter of practice too. It's the definitive way to say "yes, this
interface needs IPv6 active and I don't care if there's an address bound
  or not". I forget the exact circumstances, but I ran into several
cases where I had undesired results and needed to manually enable IPv6
on an interface. Oh, and different versions of IOS behave differently
towards IPv6. Imagine that.

Jack