ISP customer assignments

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Wed Oct 21 02:29:48 UTC 2009

In message <1069DFD4-87A3-4E38-AEBC-43C05C16DECA at arbor.net>, Roland Dobbins wri
tes:
> On Oct 20, 2009, at 8:41 PM, Karl Auer wrote:
>
> > In practice, changing stuff, especially globally, is not as simple
> > as that.
>
>  From <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4192>:
>
> 'Some took it on themselves to convince the authors that the concept
> of network renumbering as a normal or frequent procedure is daft.'

There is a difference between renumbering every minute and renumber
when required to optimise something else.  We shouldn't be afraid
to renumber.  It should be something all vendors support.  It should
be as automated as possible.  If there is a manual step you should
be asking yourself "does this need to be done by hand".

Remember there are lots of machines that renumber themselves several
times a day as they move between work and home.  All machines should
be in a position to renumber themselves as easily as we renumber a
laptop.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC