IPv6 Deployment for the LAN

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun Oct 18 12:10:37 UTC 2009

On Oct 18, 2009, at 3:05 AM, Nathan Ward wrote:

> On 18/10/2009, at 11:02 PM, Andy Davidson wrote:
>
>> On 18 Oct 2009, at 09:29, Nathan Ward wrote:
>>
>>> RA is needed to tell a host to use DHCPv6
>>
>> This is not ideal.
>
> Why?
> Remember RA does not mean SLAAC, it just means RA.
>
> --
> Nathan Ward

Because RA assumes that all routers are created equal.
Because RA is harder to filter.
Because the bifercated approach to giving a host router/mask
information and address information
	creates a number of unnecessary new security concerns.

I think those are the top 3.  I can't think of the rest of the list
off the top of my head as my
brain still thinks it's 5 AM.

Owen