IPv6 Deployment for the LAN

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sun Oct 18 04:54:29 UTC 2009

On Sat, 17 Oct 2009, Ray Soucy wrote:

> Given that historically we have relied on DHCP for a means of NAC and
> host registration, like many academic institutions, the idea of sweeping
> changes to accommodate IPv6 was just not going to happen in the near
> future.

IETF has historically dropped the ball on delivering IPv4/v6 services
securely, and all the development for IPv4 done outside the IETF hasn't
been integrated into IPv6, which now shows when people are trying to
deploy it.

There is now some working going on though, you should look into the SAVI
working group, they have some nice work going on both for v4 and v6 in
this space. The v6ops WG is also producing deployment models for securely
deploying v6 in ISP environment.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se