ISP customer assignments

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Wed Oct 14 01:24:09 UTC 2009

In a message written on Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 08:14:40PM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> I would expect you just assign static addresses to servers.  Are there
> pros/cons to using /64 or something else there?  If I'm statically
> assigning IP (and DNS, etc. servers) info, why would I not just
> configure the gateway there as well (especially if you just make all
> local router interfaces ::1)?

All of our servers are in binary coded hex. :)  That is, if your IPv4
address is 10.12.3.187, your IPv6 address is A:B:C:D::187.  The router
is ::1, just as in IPv4, and servers have static routes.

We still use /64's everywhere.  You may want to use temporary (privacy)
addresses outbound.  You many want to allow a server to use EUI-64 to
get an address while doing an install, or similar.

> What about anycast-type addresses (e.g. DNS servers)?  I route a few
> server IPv4 /32s around in my network; do you assign a /128, a /64 (with
> only one address in use), a /112, or something else?

/128's for loopbacks, anycast addreses, and similar here. Typically out
of a loopback /64.