ISP customer assignments

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Tue Oct 13 19:56:22 UTC 2009

On 2009-10-13, at 14:46, Matthew Petach wrote:

> I allocate a /64, but currently I configure only a /127 subnet on the
> actual interface.

For BRAS/PPPoE deployments you're dealing with a point-to-point link,
so in principle you can number the endpoints using whatever you want.
They're just host addresses and interface routes when it comes down to
it. There's no need to number both ends within a single conventional
subnet.

In the test deployment I did earlier in the year I defined a pool of
link addresses per BRAS (one /64 prefix per BRAS) and handed out one
to each subscriber using ND/RA after IPv6CP had completed. To the
subscriber that looked like a /128 host route, with some other
arbitrary address on the far side. (We could have done it with RADIUS
too, but having a static link address didn't seem particularly
important.)

A sub-side static /48 was then assigned via RADIUS and a route
installed on the BRAS side, with DHCPv6 PD available as an option for
clients who want auto-configuration rather than static config.

It seemed to work. BRAS was a Juniper E-series (test box was an ERX310).

Joe