ISP customer assignments

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Tue Oct 13 15:59:53 UTC 2009

George Michaelson wrote:
> As a point of view on this, a member of staff from APNIC was doing a
> Masters of IT in the last 3-4 years, and had classfull A/B/C addressing
> taught to her in the networks unit. She found it quite a struggle to
> convince the lecturer that reality had moved on and they had no idea
> about CIDR.

I'm ok with teaching it to beginners to explain where we came from but
that should be it.  It should be made excruciatingly clear in the
training that it's no longer done that way because we found a MUCH
better way of doing things.  That said I still occasionally refer to
networks in classful terms and I can think of several network engineers
who have years of enterprise experience that still don't understand CIDR.

Justin