IPv6 internet broken, cogent/telia/hurricane not peering

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Mon Oct 12 16:09:58 UTC 2009

On Oct 12, 2009, at 7:41 AM, Igor Ybema wrote:

> I recently noticed that there seems a peering issue on the ipv6
> internet.
> As we all know hurricane is currently the largest ipv6 carrier.
> Other large
> carriers are now implementing ipv6 on their networks, like Cogent
> and Telia.
>
> However, due to some politics it seems that they are not peering
> with each
> other resulting in a broken ipv6 internet currently. I noticed this
> by using
> the looking glasses from telia and hurricane.
>
> This is only a real problem if you use hurricane as the only transit.
> However, hurricane also announces 6to4 relays. When you happen to
> use the
> hurricane relay server (due to the shortest path), cogent and telia
> (and
> maybe more) are not reachable.
>
> I already asked hurricane about their point of view. They simply
> just ignore
> it because they 'are the biggest one'.

It is sad to see that networks which used to care about connectivity,
peering, latency, etc., when they are small change their mind when
they are "big".  The most recent example is Cogent, an open peer who
decided to turn down peers when they reached transit free status.

I never thought HE would be one of those networks.

--
TTFN,
patrick