ISP customer assignments

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Thu Oct 8 16:48:19 UTC 2009

On 08/10/09 11:46 +0100, Michael Dillon wrote:
>> There seems to be a variance between "It's OK to just give out a /64" to
>> "You better be thinking about giving out a /48". I can live in those
>> boundaries and am most likely fine with either. I'm leaning toward a /56
>> for regular subscribers and a /48 only for business or large scale
>> customers, and undecided on dial-up. How does this sound?
>
>The starting point is to give everybody a /48 per site. If a business customer
>has 3 sites, then give them enough space for a /48 for each site. Could be
>3 /48s or could be a /46.

How are other providers approaching dial-up? I would presume we are in the
same boat as a lot of other folks - we have aging dial-up equipment that
does not support IPv6 (3com Total Control). Our customer base has dropped
quite a bit, and we have even kicked around the idea dropping that service
and forcing customers to purchase broadband service or go elsewhere.

I expect we won't invest any more into dial-up equipment, and when a
dial-up customer happens to ask about IPv6 (if ever), we'll strongly
encourage them to move to broadband, and as a last resort manually
configure a /64 tunnel to them.

What are other providers doing, or considering doing?

--
Dan White
BTC Broadband