Does Internet Speed Vary by Season?

Sander Smeenk nanog at freshdot.net
Wed Oct 7 20:44:06 UTC 2009

Quoting Joe Greco (jgreco at ns.sol.net):

> > http://www.wired.com/gadgets/miscellaneous/magazine/17-10/ts_burningquestion
> If I recall correctly, the worst was usually a long, hard cold rain
> (hey we're in Wisconsin) after which people who had been getting
> solidly high speed modem connects would see a somewhat slower speed.

Matches my story exactly.

I once had an ADSL connection which, on dry periods, synced at the
maximum of 8Mbps and when it had rained for a day this would drop to
about 6Mbps. It always worked though, the SNR just went up. I regularly
rebooted the modem to make it retrain.

An engineer from the telephone company came to check the wiring but
couldn't find anything that would constitute replacing the line or
something less drastic...

Regards,
-Sndr. (NL)