Does Internet Speed Vary by Season?

joel jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Wed Oct 7 15:15:19 UTC 2009

Scott Howard wrote:

<snip>

> So you're saying that if I put in an 8Mbps ADSL1 connection, then I'm going
> to get a guaranteed 8Mbps point-to-point back to the exchange, regardless of
> the quality of my phone line, or the distance from the exchange?

<snip>

> (I'm not saying that the article is right, but...)

ADSL systems will retrain to a lower rate as line conditions (SNR)
change for the worse. The attentuation characteristics of a given pair
will change of time due to a number of factor, including but not
certainly limited to physical wear, moisture invasion, localized source
of interference, sunspot activity etc.

Are dsl plants subject to localized environmental conditions? Absolutely.