Does Internet Speed Vary by Season?

Marco Hogewoning marcoh at marcoh.net
Wed Oct 7 09:16:35 UTC 2009

On Oct 7, 2009, at 6:44 AM, Hank Nussbacher wrote:

> http://www.wired.com/gadgets/miscellaneous/magazine/17-10/ts_burningquestion

I'm not sure the effects are so big compared to the actual speed that
they are noticable for the average user. We also don't have any proper
data available but we do (operating in NL) notice from time to time
that periods with loads of rain can have influence on the stabillity
and speed of DSL lines especially in older areas of towns where they
still have paper/lead covered cabling instead of more modern PVC
isolation. This as more visible when everybody still used 56k
dialup.This may as well be a very local effect, the western part of
our country is largely at or even below sealevel and very wet already.

However as these effects might get you a few kilobits extra from time
to time that effect is not visible in overall usage statisctics, as
soon as the sun comes out we see traffic levels drop to only rise
again near september when everybody is back to school and the office.
As far as traffic levels go, it's the rainy winter nights which make
it into the recordbooks.

Grtx,

Marco