Does Internet Speed Vary by Season?

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Wed Oct 7 08:10:36 UTC 2009

Hank Nussbacher wrote:
> http://www.wired.com/gadgets/miscellaneous/magazine/17-10/ts_burningquestion

It's an interesting theory, that temperature affects overall throughput.
  Their assumptions on other conditions that affect bandwidth
consumption are off IMHO.  Our own data directly refutes what Wired
reported in this article.  Summertime is our most heavily utilized
months on our network on average.  For SPs heavily laden with
residential subs I think this is probably the norm.  Then school starts
and you have a pronounced drop in traffic (that includes a major dip
when college begins and again when primary school begins).  The rates
slowly increase back to their summer time highs until the holiday season
begins where they either remain steady or taper off slightly.  The
theory here is that the high-bandwidth users are too busy with holiday
affairs to play games, download music/porn, etc.  That is until after
X-mas when consumption suddenly spikes in a very pronounced way (new
computers for X-mas).  This also corresponds to our biggest month for
new service turnups and speed increases in our bundles.  Late winter
varies from fairly constant to slight growth.  Our single biggest days
are the ones proceeding a major winter storm, or if the storm doesn't
cut power to large swaths of our service area then the days in the
middle of the winter storms come out on top.  Spring growth depends on
the weather.  Good weather means less consumption for us.  Bad weather
means more consumption.  Our least busy month is May when the kids are
the most busy.  June and July again show a major turn around.

Bandwidth consumption is directly tied to your user demographics.  If
your SP is primarily business circuit then your traffic patterns will
vary wildly from that of a SP with primarily residential circuits.
Every SP is a little bit different.  That's why some SPs set personal
records for bandwidth consumption when Michael Jackson's memorial
service was broadcast (including SPs less than an hour away from me) and
other SPs (mine for example) didn't have a single user stream the
broadcast and otherwise had a normal bandwidth day.  Other than Wired
making an assumption that all SPs have nearly identical traffic
patterns, the article is otherwise ok.

Justin